The Global Chemicals Outlook II – From Legacies to Innovative Solutions: Implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, mandated by the UN Environment Assembly in 2016, seeks to alert policymakers and other stakeholders to the critical role of the sound management of chemicals and waste in sustainable development. It takes stock of global trends as well as progress made and gaps in achieving the global goal to minimize the adverse impacts from chemicals and waste by 2020.
The full Global Chemicals Outlook II is launched electronically on 29 April 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland, at a side event at the meetings of the conferences of the Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm conventions. It features the following Parts:
- Introduction and key messages for policymakers
- Part I: The evolving chemicals economy: status and trends relevant for sustainability
- Part II: Where do we stand in achieving the 2020 goal – assessing overall progress and gaps
- Part III. Advancing and Sharing Chemicals Management Tools and Approaches: Taking Stock, Looking into the Future
- Part IV: Enabling policies and action to support innovative solutions
- Part V: Scaling up collaborative action under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
The Synthesis Report was launched on 11 March 2019 at the fourth session of the UN Environment Assembly. A shorter Summary for Policymakers was tabled as a working document of the fourth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly and is available in all six UN languages.
For press coverage on the Global Chemicals Outlook II please follow this link
The Global Chemicals Outlook II finds that the global goal to minimize adverse impacts of chemicals and waste will not be achieved by 2020. Solutions exist, but more ambitious worldwide action by all stakeholders is urgently required.
The Global Chemicals Outlook II has been prepared over the past three years through a process involving more than 400 scientists and experts around the world under the guidance of the Steering Committee of the Global Chemicals Outlook II with participation from all regions and a wide range of stakeholders. The report has been developed in response to Governing Council decision 27/12, adopted in 2013, and United Nations Environment Assembly resolution 2/7, adopted in 2016.
For more information please follow this link